How a Kaighn was a Burrough, and Arthur Tippett
lived in the Little Red Schoolhouse

A School for the Neighborhood

Samuel Rudderow and Others
took title on December 16, 1811
under deed book X page 303
sold by Joseph Burrough of the Township of Waterford and County of Gloucester,
and bought by Samuel Rudderow, Thomas Rudderow, William Rudderow, Joseph Burrough Jr., Isaac Stiles, William Stiles, and Emmanuel Beaggary of the County of Burlington and John Coles, Joseph Plum, Samuel Burrough, and Reuben Burrough of the County of Gloucester
for the sum of One Dollar
"for the natural love and regard which Joseph Burrough hath for literature."
Bounded by edge of the Mount Holly stage road, Samuel Roberts line, etc...

Chesterford School Tax District-

From the Chester Township 1873 Tax Assessor's Book-

Names of Persons in School District No. 27

John L. Ruderrow
Isaac F. Ruderrow
Samuel Slim
Matilda Weldon
Isaac Stiles Est.
Joseph B. Stiles Est.
Elisha Shinn
Nathan E. Perkins
John Winter
Christian Frech
Benjamin Wiltshire
Bejamin Stiles Est.
Samuel Wilson Jr.
Robert and John Moffett
Charles McCholister
Charles B. Coles
John R. Mason
John Robinson
Thomas Wilson
Daniel Wilsen
Bridget Smith's Estate
Mary Slim
Levi L. Lippincott

Tax rate 21 cents per 100 dollars.

and from the "Colored Persons Names" page-
Ishmael Handy at Levi L. Lippincott's
Benjamin Brown at Jos. Stiles's
(not sure which others or Maple Shade's or Moorestown's)

The School Reverted Back Into The Burrough's Family-

One of Maple Shade's interesting stories is that the Little Red Schoolhouse, which was actually named the Chesterford School, District School No. 27, and the Maple Shade School, or District School No. 1, which was probably built by Joseph Burrough and donated to a group as a neighborhood school, reverted back into the Burrough family after nearly a century. This was due to a stipulation that the school was to be used for that purpose and if not, then the land would return to the Burrough family. In 1909 the Poplar Avenue School was built and started and replaced it as Maple Shade School No. 1. And the one room school house was no longer used as a school.

The following quote is from the Maple Shade Progress newspaper, March 1, 1956-

Extra Classroom Space Requested

Superintendent Asks Use Of Little Red School House

(Continued from page one)
Emmanuel Beaggary, all of Burlington County, John Osler, Joseph Plum, Samuel Burrough and Reuben Burrough all of Gloucester County (Now Camden County).
Joseph Burrough "granted the land to them, their heirs and assigns forever for the sole use as a school lot and for no other purpose whatsoever."
The brick school house was erected the following year, in 1812, and was used for school purposes only until 1909 when a school was erected on Poplar Ave.
Finding the school building not being used for the designated purposes and abandoned, the heirs of Joseph Burrough went to the courts to have the lot revert to the previous owners. The court findings were as follows-
"Said lot having since ceased to be used for school purposes, the same shall revert to the original grantors, as grandchildren and great-grandchildren of the said Joseph Burrough."

On Feb. 14, 1917, William F. Fisler (should be V.), a descendant of the heirs deeded the lot to Arthur G. and Ada Tippett. Tippett built a frame addition to the school and occupied the building for several years.
He moved to Canada and for awhile a tenant conducted a watch repair shop in the former school. Tippett failed to pay the taxes and officials of the township foreclosed and took title to the property. About 1938 the building was restored as nearly as possible to its original state.

Cutler recalls there was a spring in the yard and the children were assigned the chore of bringing buckets of water from the spring for drinking purposes. Sanitary facilities of course where outdoors. The walls of the building were whitewashed and in the center of the room stood a pot bellied stove.

Priscilla Gardner was recalled by Mrs. Cutler, the former Mary L. Fahr (Arthur Cutler's wife), as the last school teacher in the building, and moved with her students to the "big school" (originally two rooms) on Poplar Ave. This was in 1909.

By 1926 the Poplar Avenue School was too small and two wings, of four rooms each, were added. The Mill Road School was built in 1927

The one-room school now is being used as a meeting place by the Knights of Pythias and the Pythian Sisters and as a polling place on election days. (It was also used for a time as the headquarters for the Maple Shade Special Police, whatever that was.)

Is The Story True?

Well they left out mentioning Maple Shade School No. 2 or "Steinhauer School" built about 1919. One of the things involved with the Maple Shade Historical Society working on the Arcadia book, was the confirming or validation work of various stories and informations, so a chain of title search at the Burlington County Clerk's Office was needed and done. The finding is that the story is indeed true.

I skim read the Joseph Burrough to Samuel Rudderow and Others deed and I didn't see anything that to me would justify the reverting of the title, maybe I missed something. However the Judge ruled in the Burrough family's favor.

Portions of Chain of Title-

Arthur G. Tippett, and Ada Tippett his wife
took title on February 14, 1917
under deed book 532 page 259
sold by William V. Fisler

Beginning at a stone standing in the edge of the Mount Holly stage road on the Northerly side thereof, about four chains and twenty three links from the middle of the arch of a small stone bridge standing in said road, and runs thence...

Being the same land and premises which Joseph Burrough by deed bearing date December 16, 1811, and recorded in the office of the Clerk of the County of Burlington in Book No. X of Deeds, page 303 etc. granted and conveyed unto Samuel Rudderow, etc...

Note- deed book 532 page 255 &c. is Ashton Fisler selling lots near the school house.

Lydia S. Fisler
took title on September 15, 1910
under deed book 464 page 49
sold by the Heirs of Joseph Burrough, deceased
Between Anna Kaighn and Joseph her husband, Rachael Burroughs (Single), Mary Cotton and Alexander, her husband, Henry M. Burroughs (Single), heirs of Joseph Burroughs, deceased of the first part.
and Lydia S. Fisler of the City and County of Camden in the State of New Jersey of the second part.

All that certain lot or piece of land situate in the Township of Chester, County of Burlington and State of New Jersey and by a deed bearing the date December 16, 1811, is bounded and described as follows:-

Beginning at a stone standing in the edge of the Mount Holly stage road on the Northerly side thereof, about four chains and twenty three links from the middle of the arch of a small stone bridge standing in said road, and runs thence...

Being the same land and premises which Joseph Burrough by deed bearing date December 16, 1811, and recorded in the office of the Clerk of the County of Burlington in Book No. X of Deeds, page 303 etc. granted and conveyed unto Samuel Rudderow, Thomas Rudderow, William Rudderow, Joseph Burrough Jr., Isaac Stiles, William Stiles, Emmanuel Beaggary, John Osler, Joseph Plum, Samuel Burrough, and Reuben Burrough "their heirs and assigns, as a school lot and for no other purpose whatsoever" and the said lot having ceased to be used for school purposes the same reverted to the grantors as grandchildren and great grandchildren of the said Joseph Burrough.


Arthur G. Tippett-

The following quotation is from Arthur Cutler's original Story of Maple Shade article-

Several acres of land at the westerly corner of Sunset and Rudderow Avenues were purchaced by a Canadian, the Reverend Arthur G. Tippett, on November 5th, 1913. At the time, Rev. Tippett had a Gospel Wagon in Philadelphia, operating around the carpet mills in Kensington, as most weavers were English. In the early part of the following year, he proceeded to build his home and Church, which is believed to have been known as the Church of God, on this site. The lumber and the millwork for the church were donated by C. B. Coles and Company, and the William Scudder Company of Camden. On Sunday, his English followers from the carpet mills would come out by trolley to the corner of Main Street and Forklanding Road. Here the minister would meet them with his large Peerless touring car and take them to church, and return them from services. This continued until some time in 1918, when Rev. Tippett returned to Canada to enlist for service in the First World War. Later, the church was sold and remodeled into a home.

Arthur Tippett's church wasn't called Church of God, but Christ Church and Christ Free Church,
as seen here in a 1916 Progress newspaper Christmas sermon.

Robert Jaquett
took title on August 22, 1918
under deed book 546 page 338
sold by Arthur G. Tippet

Being part of lands and premises which Thomas Ryan by deed dated January 21, 1916, Book 523, pg 7 & c. granted to Arthur G. Tippett and Ada Tippett his wife.
on the NW corner of Rudderow Ave. and County Ave., containing thereon a Church building.

Note- County Avenue used to loop from Forklanding Road to Rudderow Avenue. Later part was renamed Sunset Avenue.



If you read again the above heirs of the Burrough family who inherited the Little Red Schoolhouse, you will see a Kaighn listed. Take note that Rt. 38 Hwy signs now have Kaighns Ave. which would go to "Kaighn's Point" Camden.

Imagine little Charles Coles owning the Alden Park land and the old Joseph/ Reuben Burrough grist mill and having the farm named "Coles Mill Farm." Imagine his latter life owning a huge lumber mill at another idea spot, the first being along the old Ferry Rd. to market, the new right smack between Camden, NJ and the City of Philadelphia!

Rachel Burrough, daughter of Joseph Burrough (I have to do a half hr check through stuff sometime to see- I think a sister to Joseph Burrough who donated Little Red Schoolhouse) married Charles Coles, father of C.B. Coles Lumber owner, then William Kaighn. This is why a Kaighn is an heir to the schoolhouse. You see Coles were Burroughs family!

The following is quoted from the George Reeser Prowell's book "The History of Camden County, NJ" published in 1886-

Joseph Coles, the grandfather of Charles B. Coles, was married to Sarah Heulings. Their son Charles was born July 7, 1807, and died February 25, 1837; married Rachel Burrough, daughter of Joseph and Martha (Davis) Burrough, and had two children, Joseph, who died in childhood, and Charles B. Coles, who was born on August 7, 1836, at the homestead now owned by himself, and known as the Coles Mill Farm, in Chester township, Burlington County, near the Camden line, to which place his father moved upon his marriage with Rachel Burrough, whose ancestors for six generations had owned the same property. His mother died in the Eleventh Month 29,1869, aged sixty-five years.

Charles B. Coles’ father died when he was less than a year and a half old. When eight years of age he went to reside with an uncle on a farm, and in early life followed the occupation of farming. In 1864 he engaged in the active business of life and has since followed it with unabated prosperity.

C.B. Coles' Planing Mill, corner of Front and Liberty Streets, is owned by Charles B. Coles, who, in 1864, in connection with William S. Doughten, started the business on Front Street and Chestnut, the firm-name being Doughten & Coles. They continued in partnership until 1870, when they dissolved, and Charles B. Coles built his own mill at the present location.

Today the Maple Shade Historical Society is in the process of getting the building placed on the National Register of Historical Places and with grant money received from the Register doing much needed repairs, etc...

If you are interested in Maple Shade's history, why not join the Maple Shade Historical Society?
The schoolhouse is open several times a year for visitations.